This is a development kit widely used for Server programming using Java platform. The difference between the Standard Edition is that it contains libraries that provide functionality to deploy fault-tolerant, distributed, multi-tier Java software, based mostly on modular components running on an application server.
This platform was known before as Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition or J2EE. It includes several API specifications, such as JDBC, RMI, e-mail, JMS, web services, XML, etc. Also features some Enterprise JavaBeans, servlets, portlets, JavaServer Pages and several web service technologies. This allows developers to create enterprise applications that are portable and scalable, and that integrate with legacy technologies.
Additionally the SDK Platform Tools Bundle contains support for these runtime components:
- Open ESB: A JBI-based integration platform for delivering composite applications on a service-oriented architecture.
- Portlet Container: Implements the Java Portlet Specification, a standard for developing portal components, and provides a portlet driver, a lightweight portlet rendering environment.
- Sun Java System Access Manager: manages secure access to an enterprise's web applications.
- Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP): A standard that provides web service-based access capability to portlets and enables interoperability among different portal server solutions.
- Support for web services
- Support for servlets
- SDK tools
- Portable application creation